Thursday, October 29, 2009

New Baby


My daughter gave birth to her third child, third son, on 10/28/09, at 11:39 pm. It's still close to Halloween, but now it's 3 days away for the birthday parties. Of course, it's only one week before his big brother's birthday on 11/4. That's going to be a problem in several ways: 3 days before and 4 days after Halloween, and just one week apart. Who will have the birthday party? Will they share a party? They are 8 years apart and maybe sharing won't be as big a deal as if they were one or two years apart. We will see. It won't be my call in any event and their mom is likely to take the path of least resistance.

There was quite a crowd in the delivery room: me, my wife, Laura, of course, 2 doctors, 3 nurses, and Laura's part-time(?) one-time(?) boyfriend and father of the baby. When the time came, it seemed to come quickly. Contraction. Use it. Push. Harder. Take a breath and do it again. Lay back and wait for another contraction and start over. This time (I have been in on the delivery for all three boys) it seemed to move more quickly. I suppose that is to be expected on the third child, but what do I know? Another contraction. Push. Doing a good job - seeing the head - oh, he went back in. Again. Push. His head is out. Once more, Laura, push! He's out! Just a second or two and he is crying - making a lot of noise. Yes!

Then it came: "Papa, will you cut the cord?" I said nothing - couldn't. I took the scissors - they looked like they were gold-plated(?)! What's up with that? Do I get to keep them? This is what I was thinking. That and the fact that Laura wanted me to hold them and do the deed. It was quick - just a couple snips - but it was a big deal to me. I cut him loose from his tether and set him on his journey into our world. Seems dramatic, but that's what I thought.

He was cute right away. And he got cuter as he turned more pink and got cleaned up. When it was my turn to hold him, he felt just right. What a rush - what a thrill!

Thanks, Laura.

No comments: